Sunday, March 8, 2009

"Kitten's First Full Moon" Kevin Henkes Caldecott Medal


I would consider Kitten’s First Full Moon to be an Easy to Read book. The illustrations take up a large amount of the print space and there are very few words. The book is easy to follow and the kitten is confused about the full moon. He believes that the moon is milk and throughout the story he is trying to get to the moon. His journey is not pleasant as he can not each his destination. In the end the kitten receives his milk in a round bowl. The color scheme is black and white, this use is effective. It is a good basic building book. I was not overwhelmed by the book, it fairly plain. I read this book on a rainy day and I am not sure if that affected by personal evaluation.


1 comment:

  1. I found your last sentence very insightful. A person's environment can affect how he or she relates to everything, from books and movies to conversations and dreams.

    I remember ten years ago driving from Murray to Bowling Green in the rain, listening to an old Beck song called "We Live Again."

    It was a song I had listened to hundreds of times. I already knew all the words and was singing along, and that rainy night and that dark road just made something click in my mind and for the first time I really understood what he was singing about.

    So I guess environment can have a positive or a negative effect.

    ReplyDelete