Thursday, February 5, 2009

"My Friend Rabbit" Eric Rohmann Caldecott Medal


The visual elements found in the book My Friend Rabbit is exceptional. The story takes on its own life through the illustrations. The book portrays the story of friendship through minimal writing but the pictures take you on the journey with the mouse and rabbit as they attempt to get the plane from the tree. The mouse describes his friend rabbit as always being able to find trouble, the events of the book demonstrates just that. The book is colorful and children would be engaged. The coloration is essential and displayed in a unique way of grabbing the attention of readers.

Reading the book in winter made me think of happy moments and enjoying the sunshine with a friend.

This is the only book that I have read written and illustrated by Eric Rohmann however I did research his work and found that the quality of illustrations is evident in his works.

I gained some insight on how picture books work to engage small children and open their eyes to the world of reading.

Image Reference:http://www.amazon.com/My-Friend-Rabbit-Eric-Rohmann/dp/031236752X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240535223&sr=1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment